Friday, February 19, 2010

Hot tamales, big red gum, and lipstick!!


(Grandma and Grandpa Maughan driving home from their mission in Indianapolis, stopped to visit me in Omaha)


Hot tamales, the smell of Big Red gum, and her need to tell every girl they would look better with a little lipstick. These are just a few things I will remember about Grandma.

My Grandma Maughan died unexpectedly a few weeks ago. It has been a little hard and I am just now wanting to blog about it. She had been struggling with various illnesses for the last 2 months, but none that we thought would take her life. Grandma was only 78 years old and FULL of life. She was a "tell you how it is" kinda gal, who was never afraid to strike up a conversation with anyone. Grandma had a way about her that made everyone feel comfortable and at ease. Many times during my college years, when I was struggling, I would go to my Grandma for comfort and advise. She always told me what I needed to hear and showed me how much she loved me.
Grandma was a sucker for babies, and I am so blessed that she was able to meet both my children before her death. I know she is up there cheering us all on but my heart aches each time I think about her not being here. She was a firecracker whom I loved dearly.

When you lose someone close often times there are regrets.
I have regrets...
Why didn't I call her more? Why didn't I visit more often?

Loosing Grandma further proves to me life is short, fragile, and unpredictable. Visit your grandparents more often, play with your kids more, call that friend you haven't talk to in years.

The last time I saw Grandma was a few weeks before her death. She was in a rehab facility and I went to visit her. When I got ready to leave, I kissed her on the lips and gave her a big hug, her eyes were slightly teary and she looked me right in the eyes and said, "I love you so much." I don't think either of us knew that was the last time we would see each other, but it was a tender moment I will cherish forever.



6 comments:

Stephers said...

I am so sorry. So glad you were able to go and visit her before she passed. She looks like she was a very spunky lady. What special memories you have of her. Thanks for the reminder not to forget those we love so much and to make time for them each and every day :)

Mike and Jess said...

Nat! you have been an excellent blogger this week! I love it. I check everyday for a Tate phrase update and this one is hilarious!!! We miss grandma too and also regret not being with her more often. We are trying to do a better job with grandpa.

Mauri said...

Oh Nat-I am so sorry to hear of your loss and sadness..Unexpectedly makes it so hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this hard time...

Andrea and Kent said...

Nat- I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I love how you describe her. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug!
We have Maughan's in our ward here in Irvine. I wonder if you're related.

Erin said...

Nat, I was so sad to hear about her passing. My heart goes out to you and your family! I loved your Grandma and especially loved when she would talk about ironing my Grandpa's shirts and cooking for him when he was a young missionary serving in your grandparents area. What a special lady! Love you Natty!

Stephens Family said...

I love that woman! both of your grandparents are some of the best people I have met. I'm sorry you're hurting, what an angel you'll have up there, can you imagine??? Love you nat