Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Caveat Emptor...Buyer Beware!!!


Okay, I realize what I am about to confess to is some major parental neglect, but I just have to share my experience. Paul and I bought an ipod touch a few months ago and it quickly turned into "Tate's Games". There are so many game apps out there, we ended up getting a little crazy with the (free) downloads. Anytime Tate was getting tough or just being a typical 2 year old, Paul and I did the easiest thing and just gave him his games. Then, it started getting really obssessive. From the time Tate woke up in the morning, until he went to bed, he wanted to be playing his games. When we took them away so he could eat, sleep, change diaper etc...he flipped out. He was starting to have major breakdowns and tantrums. Finally, Paul and I knew the games had to go. We told them they got lost and for a good week, we had breakdown after breakdown over those stupid games. He didn't know how to entertain himself without them. He was bored and needed constant attention. Finally within a few weeks he stopped asking about the games and was acting like his old self again. He was such a better kid! He wasn't overstimulated by the games and he was using his imagination and playing with his toys and running around wearing himself out. I can't believe how much those games affected his behavior. It was a very bad judgement call on our part. There will be NO video games of any kind in our house. Children need to use their brains and video games are thoughtless entertainment. Lesson learned!!

2 comments:

Stephers said...

I hear ya. I cannot believe the craze in Computer and Video Games... seriously, they get hooked so young these days. Sometimes you just want to give them something that will calm them down for a few minutes... don't blame you guys a bit. 3's are for sure harder than 2's were for us.

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you for sticking to it. I know a lot of mom's who don't make the break and their kids stay addicted. Good job!