Monday, September 19, 2011

Tomato Macaroni AKA: the only things my kids eat in large quantities


We are at the peak of canning season and I just did a fresh batch of crushed tomatoes. I love using them in soups, stews, and anything else that calls for tomatoes. My neighbor Shasta told me her families favorite thing to eat is macaroni noodles with a bottle of tomatoes and cheese. So I tried a variation and my kids LOVED it and so did I. Totally simple, but with home bottled tomatoes it is amazing!


Tomato Macaroni:

1 pint crushed tomatoes (my kids are weird and don't like the seeds, so I strain them out)
2 Tbs Butter
2 Tbs Flour
salt and pepper to taste
cheddar cheese

In a small saucepan melt butter over med-high heat. Add flour and cook for 1 min. to make a rue for the tomatoes. Add pint of tomatoes and heat until thickened. Pour over cooked macaroni noodles and sprinkles with cheese.

ENJOY!

0 comments: